Search This Blog

Friday 29 March 2013

希望を捨てるな!The Count of Montecristo / Amour de 99!! (II)

On Sunday the 17th, Monday the 18th and Sunday the 24th of March I went to watch  the new Cosmos troupe show, The Count of Montecristo / Amour de 99!!

I loved it so much! And I must say, I liked it more the second and third time. The first time I was a bit taken aback by the fact that they changed quite a bit the story compared to the novel. I understand it was necessary in order to turn a novel which is over a thousand pages long into a one hour and a half musical, though.

At any rate, the music is first class! The songs got stuck badly in my head, so now I am really looking forward to the DVD and CD!

WARNING: from here on there might be SPOILERS!

The first act, The Count of Montecristo, was a bit difficult to follow at first, but extremely well done. Not only the songs were great (one of the songs actually makes me want to cry every single time I listen to it), but the setting was also really really good. In particular, the scene in which Edmont Dantès is in prison, the stage is really awesome: there are two levels, and on the lower level you can see Dantès getting more and more desperate by the day, while on the upper level you see scenes of what happens in the lives of those who are free (Mercedes, Danglars, Fernand etc).
There were a few extremely dramatic scenes, but also a couple of really funny ones. The scenes in which appeared Bertuccio (Ozuki Toma) and the pirates were often the stress releaf. In particular, there is one scene with Bertuccio, Vampa and the pirates/smugglers which is really funny. I am not an expert of Japanese accents, but I have a feeling that the pirates speak with a Kyushu accent... which would make sense since I believe that Kyushu was an area with quite a lot of pirates in the past. And that was also funny. (I might be wrong though, so feel free to correct me!)

It goes without saying that Ouki Kaname was amasing in the role of the count: every time I see her on stage my admiration towards her increases. Not only is she extremely beautiful, but she's an excellent actress. Her singing might not be one of the best among the top stars, but she conveys such emotions that I get lost for words. She's the best ;)
I must say I was also really really pleased with Misaki Rion: her Mercedes was spot on. In several scenes she moved me to tears. Thumbs up for her! I'm ashamed to say I don't usually pay much attention to musumeyaku (unless they annoy me) but she was so good that I feel it's my duty to spear a few words for her. Just as I thought, I think that Kaname and her make a great combi.
Yumi Hiro, Ozuki Toma, Asaka Manato, Nanami Hiroki, Hasumi Yuuya... there are so many awesome actresses in the current cosmos troupe that I can't possibly talk about all of them. Honestly, great GREAT job sora gumi!!!

The second act, Amour de 99!!, was full of energy and interesting. It was a celebration of Takarazuka which followed its history. The actresses performed dances from several old shows.
Some of the dances were really amasing (there was one with blue costumes which I particularly loved, but I can't remember the name right now, and I don't have the program at hand... sorry).
The most notable part was probably the "pineapple queen" dance, in which Kaname wore the pineapple queen costume and showed her bare legs. She was awesome! I am always amased by the fact that she looks gorgeous both as a man and as a woman. 
I also really liked the tuxedo dance. It was actually very simple, with plain black tuxedos and red roses. I liked the fact that Kaname wore a tuxedo just like everybody else, with no rhinestones on it. It was really very very elegant. At the end of the dance Kaname gave the rose to one of the spectators... and I died of envy ;) every single time!
Another important part was probably a dance in which Ozuki Toma danced with Kaname dressed as a musumeyaku. I must say though that I don't think that Ozuki Toma pulls off the musumeyaku role too well. Somehow, I kept on seeing a man dressed as a woman on stage XD


On a side note, there is one scene in which Kaname has to take off a wig and a fake beard on stage. On the 18th, the beard got stuck and the mic fell off. I was impressed by her reaction: she didn't show any sort of emotion, she went on with her lines as if nothing had happened, and as soon as she could turn around so that the mic side of her face was hidden, she put it back on swiftly. She did so well, that my friends who were not looking through the opera glasses at that moment didn't even notice it. Congratulations Kaname, you really are a pro!

This is about it. Awesome show, definitely a must see. I'm glad I got to see it three times, and I wish I could watch it again. This show is really special to me, not only because I like it, not only because my beloved Ouki Kaname stars in it, but for one more reason... it's going to be my last Takarazuka show in quite some time. :(

Unfortunately, I had to leave Japan on Monday... so now I'm stuck in Europe and I'm missing Takarazuka (and plenty of other stuff) already. I wish I could have stayed, but I like to think of this as destiny: there must be a reason why I had to come back to Europe.
At any rate, even though I'm not in Japan any more, I will do my best to keep this blog updated with interesting news and curious facts.

Unfortunately I only have access to a rather bad Internet connection at the moment, so I cannot upload photos. I am really very sorry, but I don't have a choice. I hope to be able to get a better connection within a couple of months (which sounds like a hell of a long time...)

Thank you so much for reading my blog! :)

P.S. 希望を捨てるな!(don't throw away hope) is a line in one of The Count of Montecristo's songs. Since I was feeling down about having to leave Japan, it touched me deeply...
It also is sort of the message of the whole show :) Great, isn't it?

11 comments:

  1. Seems like 'The Count of Montecristo / Amour de 99!!' is something to look forward to! There are many positive comments on the web, now I can't wait for the DVD!

    It's sad that you had to leave Japan... (I kinda know how you feel... Going to leave Europe in a few months T.T gonna miss my friends)
    I really do enjoy your posts on your experience with Takarazuka!
    Hope one day you'll be able to return to Japan again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)

      If you get a chance, you really should watch this show, it's great! I belive the DVD will be released in June, so we'll have to wait a bit, though...

      May I ask where in Europe you are at the moment?
      I'm sorry to hear that you're going through the same thing as me... I know it's hard.
      But let's look at the bright side, there always is one ;)

      Delete
    2. Well a little wait is nothing, because from all the reviews I read so far it's definitely worth it!

      I'm in Budapest, Hungary (Been living here for 3 years now)
      Lovely place! Just the language is too difficult to understand >.<"

      Delete
    3. Yea, I've heard Hungarian is an extremely difficult language...
      Anyway, if you ever happen to pop by Italy, let me know ;)

      Delete
    4. ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
      Italian is a beautiful language!!
      Love Venice! If I get a chance before I leave Europe, I'll definitely go again ^.^

      Delete
  2. Hi! Sorry for posting "anonymous" - I don't have accounts for all the different types of great Zuka blogs. :P

    I am soooooo wanting to see this show! Ginga Eiyu Densetsu was good, but I agree totally that there should be a sequel to make it feel "complete."

    My main question is, how do they handle the romance thing? I was thinking it would be really interesting if they had Dantes & Mercedes get married at the beginning, because that would create a TON of tension...esp. because she thinks he's dead and marries Ferdinand. Then it would make perfect sense for them to get together again at the end. :]

    Or did they keep it mostly like in the book, and just made him marry Mercedes at the end rather than Haydee?


    Kaze :] (my friends & I made sienne names for ourselves... ;]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kaze :)
      Thank you so much for leaving a comment!

      I also think that Ginga needs a sequel, though I wonder whether the sequel will be done by the Cosmos troupe or by some other troupe...

      In Montecristo they changed quite a few things compared to the book. Of course, they changed it so thta we have the happy ending ;) But no, they don't get married at the beginning - that's one thing that stays just like in the book.
      In the Takarazuka version there is no romance going on between Edmond and Haydée and there is a very (VERY) unespected turn at the end... which I'm not going to tell you ;) When you get to watch it let me know what you think about it! At first I didn't really like the way they changed the ending, but the more I watched it, the more I thought it wasn't bad after all ;)

      Hahaha... I've also often thought about which Takarasienne name I would pick for myself...
      What's your complete "sienne name"? ;)
      I think that I would probably choose Harukaze Ren for myself :)

      Delete
  3. Full name: Kaze Yasumi

    It's a lot of fun - I can even write it in kanji. :D Like, the only kanji I know....although my hiragana at least are getting better. :]

    Hmmm. Now I NEED to watch this. :P It looks really good - I hope if they do a sequel for G.E.D. they keep it with the same troupe, myself. Teru can handle the long blond wig and look dashing in it - don't think some of the others could do it quite as well. ;] Isn't it funny how some of the siennes look great blond, and others just don't?

    Must admit I'm jealous you got to see it live. :o :] I'm REALLY hoping I can make it out to Japan sometime in 2014, and I NEED to see something with Teru in it. For the others, I'll hang out at irimachi and demachi, but Teru I need to see on stage. :D I'm with you - she is totally my favorite sienne. :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I did finally get to see "Monte Cristo" and I did enjoy it. :] I thought all the scenes were well done, esp. toward the end, but I would have preferred if they'd done it as a straight play, rather than having the highschoolers narrate. :P

    They weren't terrible, but having them in there and coupling it with a revue show meant that the actual story felt kind of like the Great Illustrated Classics on stage. As a full 2 hr. show they could have worked in some better transitions - I'm still not sure how Bertuccio ended up with Dantes. Did Vampa put him ashore on the island, knowing that Dantes was already there (and looked like had been there for a couple years?)

    I LOVE the scene where Mercedes goes to try to get Edmond to call off the duel. The dance interlude was a little awkward in spots, but worked tolerably, but I was mainly knocked over by the parts where they're just interacting, the two of them. Running and swordfighting included. :] THAT is how I wanted them to do the whole play, at that level of awesomeness. :D

    I did like how they handled the end, with Bertuccio kind of staging a surprise party (although Edmond transitions pretty quickly from "oh yes, I was going to die here" to "okay, let's go along and party!" I was grateful for the duet interlude!) Incidentally, I love Bertuccio with his tiny mustache and Vampa with his Rrrrrrrrolllling R's. :D

    Did you notice that oddly enough, Edmond and Albert have a pretty striking resemblance to each other? Noses, hairstyle (loved the slightly wavy messy look), face shape, and build? I thought that was funny but cool, even though Albert's not really Edmond's son, since they don't show him being born until a year after he's in prison. I was so glad they kept that from the book! Some of the movie versions change it, and it makes it so stupid, because it makes Edmond not much better than all the other womanizer characters that he's bringing down.

    So if we're really lucky maybe they'll redo it fairly soon as a full show? I hope! :D

    Kaze

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the school kids parts sort of killed the mood ;)
      But if they really wanted to let it fit in one act, they needed a way to explain what was goung on. Personally I would have preferred a narrator lke in greek plays... it would have kept the teagic mood... but then I guess they wanted to lighten it all up a bit?

      Sorry to say Albert truly is Edmond's son in the show... they say it in the duel scene ;)
      I don't think that makes Edmond like all the others though. He would have married Mercedes and cared for her and their son if all that mess had not happened.

      They changed a few things compared to the book, but I think it's ok. It's cheesier but also more.... zuka-ish? ;)

      Though the story could have been developed better in a whole show, I really can't complain since I love Amour de 99 as well. It has some truly amasing dances and beautiful songs.

      Delete
    2. Yes, they said that, but I went back and re-watched the prison sequence, and the baby is shown only AFTER they brand him for the one-year anniversary. Unless they're messing with the timeline somehow???

      A slightly less cheesy narrator would have helped, at any rate. :)

      Kaze

      Delete