Search This Blog

Sunday 17 June 2012

DRACULA

Uff... it's been a while since I last wrote on here!
Sorry for the absence!

While I was away from the blog, I finally managed to watch a show that I had been wanting to watch for quite some time.
It's not actually Takarazuka, but it's linked to it: the Japanese version of DRACULA, starring Wao Youka and Hanafusa Mari (and also Natsumi Abe, who previously was part of Morning Musume).

The show was very good, though I must (reluctantly) admit, that I liked Wao better back in the Zuka days.
Still, the show is definitely worth watching.
I honestly think it's awesome that the golden combi Wao-Hanafusa is still active even though their Takarazuka days are over. No matter what the reason behind it might be, I love that.

I also found out something pretty interesting in an interview with Wao regarding this show: apparently Frank Wildhorn was keeping the part especially for her.
Since this is not a Takarazuka show, there wasn't any need for the main male character to be played by a woman... and yet he picked her.
Most of you probably already know this, but Frank Wildhorn and Wao had met in 2006 because of her last show as a top star, Never Say Goodbye (an incredibly good show in my humble opioion), which was written by Frank Wildhorn himself especially for the occasion.
That was already a great honour, but I believe it's an even greater honour that he kept the role of Dracula for her up til 2011. Apparently (according to the interview I mentioned earlier), Frank Wildhorn had already talked about having Wao as Dracula back in her top star days.

At any rate, Wao makes without doubt a pretty good Dracula and her skills are impressive, even though, as I already pointed out, I wouldn't put it among my favourite performances.

Still, I encourage you to watch it if you have not watched it yet!

Here you can find a video of one song of the show(WARNING: this might be a spoiler!)

And this is the first part of the interview I mentioned earlier.

If you feel like watching this musical, you can find it on tudou.com ... if you can't find it, let me know and I'll help you out!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post! It's always great to find people who still appreciate works of former Zuka stars... Particularly Wao and Hana as they have always been my golden combi <3

    I'm sad to say that unfortunately, Hana is no longer working for Wao Enterprise as she resigned from April 2011. However both Wao and Hana are continuing on with their own careers so that's good at least.

    Anyways, I've been not really following Zuka closely since Mizu left, but I'm being drawn back in abit by Kaname and Otozuki Kei and I'm excited to read about your Takarazuka adventures in Japan especially with focus on the new Soragumi :) Keep up the fangirling and lovin' ^^

    J3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the comment! It really makes me happy that there actually are people who read this blog and who appreciate what I am doing :)

      It also makes me sad to know that Wao and Hana don't work together anymore... I really thought that they would stick together until they both retired.

      I'll do my best not to be boring, so you will keep on reading my blog ;)
      Please comment again whenever you feel like it! It would really make me happy :D

      Delete
  2. Yay, someone else who likes Toudou.com! :D I don't know how they get away with all the stuff up there, but copying and pasting kanji titles and names works fantastically. ]:-) I don't have the money to buy sight-unseen, so I'm very grateful to be able to preview stuff. :]

    Kaze

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can't find the play on tudou TT__TT can you help me please? TT__TT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it's hard to find someone who like Takarazuka too!! I really liked your blog, i've only been able to watch a few songs of some Takarazuka shows in youtube. I tried de link you mentioned but it's in japanese and i couldn't find the show :(
    Could you send me another link?
    Do you have "Rose of Versailles" too?
    Hope you can help me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi everyone! Copy and paste https://www.bilibili.com/video/av8856203/?redirectFrom=h5
    That's the show.
    I'm happy for been able to find this amaaaaazing blog, thnak you!!! <3 <3

    Kaname

    ReplyDelete