Search This Blog

Wednesday 20 June 2012

Angel's Ladder (Pride and Prejudice)

I am a huge (really huge) fan of Jane Austen's.
I've read all of her books, some of them several times.
I've watched all known movie and TV series productions of her works.

So, honestly, I was really thrilled when I found out that star troupe's Angel's Ladder (天使のはしご, Tenshi no Hashigo) is a version of my beloved Pride and Prejudice.
A combination of Takarazuka and Jane Austen sounds enthralling to say the least!
I believe that its romantic atmosphere fits perfectly the Takarazuka style, and it could be really interesting to see what they come up with to render the intrinsic irony of the story.
Of course i am also really looking forward to find out how they render the characters.

One extra point in favour of this show: Suzumi Shio (who is unfortunately retiring in august) is the lead.
I liked her performance in Romeo and Juliette and I am really curious to see her in the role of Darcy.
I have high expectations of her.

Unfortunately I have not been able to watch the show yet (I think that the video might just not be available yet), but I have found a teaser video that has quite frankly made the wait even more unbearable than it already was.
I fervently advise you to have a look! Here's the link. ;)

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait for the whole show. The fact that I can't understand a single word doesnt'matter: the plot is easy to recall, it's my favourite. The troupe seems to fit perfectly. The only spot: Darcy looks much more bright than Lizzy - in the novel I usually can't choose who is better in the couple, but Lizzy usually is the winner. No contest here: Darcy is absolutely the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be right about Darcy but, from what I could get out of the video, I think that the way they show Darcy's awkwardness could be pretty interesting. I think it will definitely be a different Darcy compared to what we are used to, but an interesting one. I'm afraid that Lizzie might be a bit too giggly for my taste, though... but let's hope not!
      At any rate, let's hope we can watch the whole thing soon! ;)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the reader! I'm a real fan of Jane Austen.❤ Takarazuka is so interesting. I would love to understand everything but I don't speak japanese. 😥
    But it' amazing watching this beautiful show. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. *thanks for the teaser, I mean.

    ReplyDelete